Here in Houston we’re very fortunate to be surrounded by lots of K-Staters. I never would’ve expected to find this much purple hundreds of miles from Manhappiness…but I’m not complaining!
Last year we moved here in the middle of football season and spent most of our Saturdays switching off between houses to cheer on the cats. That’s when the boys realized that there might’ve been enough of us out in suburbia to start our own watch party. So, first thing was first…our group of friends organized a pub crawl to choose the perfect watch party location. We definitely saw some interesting joints–an Alaskan themed bar, one with men in heels–and then there was Coaches. New, clean, full of TVs, and with a perfect corner that had our name written all over it. It was settled! Kyle must have been taking notes from his event-planning wife because he took charge and organized everything from there. An email went out to the entire Houston Alumni listserv and we wondered if anyone would actually show. Good news is we ended up having about 30 people! New friends, old friends–all there in purple 🙂
One of the winners. Wait, don’t you live in Dallas Balsman??? 🙂
I definitely think I talked more than I watched the game, but oh well…we won, right??
Other than the win, some highlights from the night include:
1. Actually being able to watch the game. The black screen that was there up until 10 minutes before the game scared us so much we had to call for backups–a laptop and a cable for the projector. Luckily DirecTV came through. Close call!
2. Our hilarious little waitress. She knew everyone’s names within 5 minutes and asked to work at every watch party. We even gave her a K-State t-shirt so she could replace the awful burnt orange she had on. (Ok, truth is I don’t think it’s awful…I’ve secretly always wished that was our school color. Shhh)
3. Meeting new friends. Our circle is growing! Keep on moving to Katy people 🙂
4. Getting the evil eye from all of the people there waiting for the Ortiz/Mayweather fight…and our seats. Those fans are intense and I don’t think they appreciated us stalling and cheering the fight song. Too bad they didn’t know then that the fight was going to be rigged and last 5 minutes!
5. And finally, Uncle Phil’s nightcap…
2 days until we’re back at Coaches! It’s going to be a fun football season.
hahaha I love that he was still able to watch tv while taking a big gulp….
The Miskell Family says
Small world…I live 2.5 seconds from Katy in Richmond!!! How fun!!!
I know I am a little late on this… BUT when did you get bangs??!! I die… they are fab!