- GU is delicious. I know some runners refuse to take this gel-like substance around mile 10, but I wanted to ask for two! I seriously think I want to get some vanilla bean and chocolate avalanche to have in my pantry for dessert!
- Professional running gear does not make someone a professional runner. I was totally intimidated when we showed up to the race and everyone had cute little outfits and running belts with everything known to man strapped to them. Then there I was…Pi Phi intramurals t-shirt and not even an iPod because I forgot to charge it. Oh and Chris had on the free race shirt–another dead giveaway that we were amateurs. However, it didn’t take long to realize that half of the people decked out in expensive running gear were just like us, or maybe even less trained. Phew!
- Pi Phi shirts make you friends. Just as I suspected, I got a “go Pi Phi!” from the crowd around mile 11. Ring Ching!
- Toenails are overrated.
- It’s easy to tell who else ran in the race later that day. Let’s just say we weren’t the only ones hobbling around the riverwalk like senior citizens! My body is finally feeling back to normal today.
- People can run full marathons faster than I can run a half. The winner of the full beat my time by 15 minutes!!!
Somehow our tickets to the Texas Ranger Museum also got us into this weird Taxidermy Museum. It was…interesting…
He’s talented. He ran 13 miles in jeans and Sperry’s.
If you’re considering running in any kind of race I would say do it. It’s a great feeling of accomplishment and it teaches you a lot of self-discipline. But for now I’m going to take a little hiatus from training and reintroduce myself to sitting on the couch and “walking” as an exercise!!!